We see documentaries about them, we read books about them and we hear all kinds of things about them but we never imagined that some of the most successful people in the world also had to deal with failures, disappointments, “closed doors”. Everything below is very true.
Let’s take a look at the failures experimented by some of the world’s most famous and successful people.
If today, some of them, are very rich, famous or left behind impressive fortunes and countless history pages, these successful people started from way down, and they went through very hard times. But because they believed in themselves they managed to find success after they failed countless times.
Let’s take a look at the most impressive failures of some of the world’s most successful people.
Winston Churchill – Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill – was a British politician and the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom during the World War II. He had to repeat the sixth grade three times and in his political career he was beaten in all elections until the age of 62 when he managed to become prime minister.
Winston was the one who came up with the quote: ” Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm”.
Sichiro Hona, the founder of the Japanese car maker Honda, tried to get an engineering job at Toyota at the beginning of his career. He was denied the job and he spent many years being unemployed after which he founded the company that still bears his name. At the beginning Honda made motorcycles and today is one of the biggest companies of the auto industry.
Honda said that success represents 1% of your work, the rest of 99% is failure.
Albert Einstein, one of the most successful scientists of all time, started his life with failures. He only started to speak when he was 4 years old and he hasn’t read anything by the time he was seven. This is why his teachers labeled him as “mentally slow”.
But this “mentally slow” kid grew up to win the Nobel Prize in Physics.
Charles Darwin, one of the most famous British geologists, biologist and book author, the founder of the theory about the evolution of species, was considered “mediocre” when he was a student. Although he enrolled in medicine school, Charles Darwin dropped out of college to focus on theology.
Fred Astaire was a legendary actor, singer and dancer. His first audition was a total failure and he was told that he can’t act, he can’t sing but he can dance a little.
Vincent van Gogh
Vincent van Gogh was a Dutch painter who’s work seriously influenced the art of the 19th century. Although his work is currently selling for tens of millions of dollars, he only managed to sell one painting in his life time.
Henry Ford, the founder of the Ford Motor Company, had three failed tries to make it into business. The first company he started went bankrupt, the second was abandoned because of a dispute and the third one also went bankrupt, just like the fist one.
Even so, Henry Ford forgot all about his failures and went on to become one of the most successful entrepreneurs in the world.
Steven Spielberg is one of the world’s best movie directors and producers. He won three Oscar Awards and he also received the title of the most successful movie producer of all time. Still, at the beginning of his career, he failed three times to get admitted to the University of Southern California.
Walt Disney was a producer, animator and U.S. entrepreneur, winning the Academy Awards 22 times.
Although today the company he founded with his brother makes billions in annual income, Walt Disney also knew what failure smells like. At the beginning of his career he was refused by all New York movie studios in his attempt to get a job as a director.
He was also fired from the newspaper he worked because he “lacked imagination”.
Thomas Edison was one of the most famous inventors and business men in the United States. Thomas Edison had a very difficult childhood and – since a young age – had to sell sweats and food to people on the streets and trains. He only went to school for a few years and he never actually got to have a formal education.
Even so, the entire world owes Thomas Edison of debt of gratitude and thanks for inventing the light bulb, probably one of the biggest achievements of his career as an inventor.
Now that you’ve made it all the way to the end of this article, what we’re really trying to say is that you shouldn’t get discouraged if you’re trying and you don’t have success. Keep trying. Thomas Edison used to say that ” I haven’t failed, I just found 10.000 ways that do not work”.