Last night Apple has released, along with the new Apple News+ service, a new iOS update which makes your Apple device compatible with the news service, fixes many problems that have been reported in the last few months and ads new functionality.
This update also brings functionality with the new generation of wireless Airpods.
All iPhone 5S, SE, 6, 6S, 7, 8, X, XS and XR users can now download the new iOS 12.2 update, the size of the update being different based on the device. The iOS 12.2 update package for the most recent devices has a size of almost 1 GB and can be downloaded exclusively through Wi-Fi. The new iOS 12.2 is also compatible with iPad, iPad pro and iPad Mini tablets and it packs the same improvements.
iOS 12.2 – list of new features and improvements
iOS 12.2 includes four new Animoji characters along with bug fixes and improvements.
iOS 12.2 – Animoji
Four new Animoji Characters – owl, wild boar, giraffe and shark – included for the iPhone X and earlier models, iPad Pro 12.9 inches ( 3rd generation ) and iPad Pro 11 inches.
iOS 12.2 – AirPlay
- dedicated TV commands in the control center and locking screen provide quick access to the TV
- multitasking abilities for video rendering through the AirPlay allow you to explore other apps as well as locally playing small video and audio files
- Airplay destinations are now grouped base on content type, which makes it easier for you to identify the device you want to use
iOS 12.2 – Apple Pay
- Apple Pay Cash clients can now instantly transfer money in their bank accounts using Visa credit cards
- The Wallet app now displays credit card transactions
iOS 12.2 – Safari
- signing in on websites is now done automatically when auto-fill passwords feature is used
- when loading unsecured websites you will now see warnings
- removes compatibility with the expired “No Tracking” standard
- interrogations from the smart search field can now be modified by pressing the arrow icon near search suggestions
iOS 12.2 – Apple Music
- “Explore” feature now displays more things of interest on a single page, simplifying the discovery of new songs, playlists, etc.
iOS 12.2 – Airpods
- compatibility with the new Airpods ( 2nd generation ).
If you haven’t received a notification to upgrade to the new iOS 12.2 OS, you will have to manually look it up in Configurations > General > Software update. You need to have more than 50% battery so you can install it or you have to plug in your charger.